[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Ban Carl Eugen Hoyos

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 13:37:13 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Thilo Borgmann <thilo.borgmann at mail.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > As requested in the IRC meeting I hereby request for the
> > voting committee to begin voting on whatever to ban Carl
> > Eugen Hoyos from mailing list, trac and IRC for 4 months,
> > starting after the voting has finished.
>
> I don't remember and don't have time to investigate if there has been such
> request. At least, the 4 months period that comes out of nowhere as well as
> applying a new regulation to older misbehavior seem highly inappropriate.
> And that's just for the objective side of the medal... personally I think
> you're
> running a bit too mad about punishing CE here.

You're both right actually (and Ivan is wrong). Search for "carl" in the
IRC logs [1], and you'll see sentences like:

"so, I think we should formally ban carl from the ML for 24 hrs and ban his
commit access for the same period"
"Well Carl hasn't been treated kindly but the situation has actually been
rotting for years now"
"I'm ok for a vote on Carl, after the CoC contains repercussions (is it a
warning? A 1 day ban? Etc)"

Ivan was already aware of all this (so I have no idea why he tried to
spread doubt about this in response to Paul's original email), because as
part of that discussion, he says:

<iive> we are not discussing things on principle, we are looking for a way
to punish Carl.

Back to what you (Thilo) said: indeed, the IRC meeting suggested 1 day (not
4 months) but/and there was no positive or negative response. The only
suggestion from people was that maybe it should be in accordance with the
documented punishments in the CoC (see third quote above). But that never
happened, as in, I don't see anyone pulling that bandwagon. And the second
quote is certainly true (this is rotting), which should cause great concern
to all of us...

Ronald

[1] https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/FFmeeting/2016-05