[FFmpeg-devel] bans

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Jun 16 15:21:47 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 10:50:51AM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 6/15/2016 10:14 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > As noone is doing anything about the situation and what is being
> > done will not lead anywhere (the vote likely wont lead anywhere as
> > likely few would ban a active developer 4 month and then if not
> > some will feel injustice prevailed thus
> >
> > After writing this mail i will
> >
> > 1. ban carl for 24h from the ML due to
> > causing  derek to leave the project. (24h was suggested in the IRC
> > meeting)
>
> This is useless IMO. While four months is too much, 24 hours is
> insignificant.
>

> Let's not implement bans without a discussion and a vote first.

I agree but if i do nothing people are unhappy that i did nothing,
if i talk with people trying to resolve a conflict well, it did not
work this time. and if i do something else people complain too.
and its 4 weeks since the incident.
Doing some symbolic action seemed to make sense until the people
finish discussions and votes.
I belive i do not have the authority to hand out real (week+) bans,
nor would i want that authorithy. Also i will stay away
from symbolic bans too, this was intended to improve the situation,
and i belive it did not achive that.

> The current vote will probably go nowhere, so a proper discussion thread
> followed by a vote will have to be made.

Yes,
its up to the vote comittee and the community to decide what should
be done.

> > I suspect carl saw the merges done by derek as causing more bugs than
> > good so he attacked until derek stoped doing the merges.
>
> Which is the shitty behavior that's being discussed about. When you find
> problems you report them, or help fix them. You don't attack the person
> working on them.
>
> > The correct course of action would have been a vote about stoping the
> > merges or a change to the procedure to reduce the amount of bugs.
> > Like maybe a seperate branch where merges can be tested for ~24h before
> > being pushed to master ...
> > Or maybe more people working on fixing regressions
> > As a sidenote, most of the regressions should be fixed by now.
> >
> > 2. ban derek for ~24h from the ML due to causing lukasz to leave the
> > project last year, and due to personal insults on the ML and IRC
> > to lukasz and carl.
> > As derek is not subscribed to the list ATM, this will be implemented
> > by moving him from the accept_these_nonmembers list to the
> > reject_these_nonmembers list for ~24h
> >
> > 3. ban myself for ~24h from the ML because i wrote offensive mails too
> > years ago and i doubt none was pivotal in causing someone to leave
>
> And this is silly. It's old history and nobody requested such action in
> any what whatsoever. It will only derail the discussion and again, bans
> without discussion or vote are a big no.

It may be uninportant but the "ban" would never have stoped derek from
subscribing or subsequently posting a message.

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates