[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] web: Remove recommandition to upgrade to 3.1

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:57:29 CEST 2016


On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc
> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:21:48PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> > On 6/29/2016 9:27 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > > Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > >
> > >> For the record: there was some discussion related to this on IRC.
> > >
> > > Would you mind adding some relevant points here?
> > > I was under the impression that this mailing list
> > > is the main place for FFmpeg patch discussions, no?
> > >
> > > Carl Eugen
> >
> > [18:37:47] <@BBB> we should recommend that people upgrade to 3.1
> tools-and-libs-at-the-same-time
> > [18:45:42] <jamrial> and i agree with BBB, instead of removing the
> recommendation, just make it clear that tools and libraries should ideally
> be updated at the same time and not mixed
> > [18:48:11] <michaelni> jamrial, can you post a patch that changes thre
> recomandition to all libs/tools or changes the release notes ?
> > [18:50:13] <jamrial> michaelni: alright
> >
> > I'm fine with this patch or the one i sent. I'm not going to block
> either.
> ok, i will wait until 24h have passed from the point of patch
> submission, and in absence of objections on the ML, apply it
> we should IMO pull this recomandition at least until 3.1.1
> Iam also happy if others apply it or another solution sooner

I prefer James' approach (recommending to update tools+libs together). I
have two reasons:
A) pulling a recommendation to update will be conceived as negative press.
Negative press is always bad. Media can always blow things out of
proportion and all sort of crap will follow. I prefer to just keep this
B) the bug (use of private API) is in 3.0/3.1 tools, not libs. Therefore,
telling users not to upgrade their tools and libs sends the wrong message:
wrong API usage is OK and we'll bend backwards to your bugs for unlikely
usage scenarios. The bug of tools may not be fixed in 3.1 tools, but
continuing to use 3.0 tools won't make things any better, since the bug is
still there, and other new features or fixed bugs from 3.0 -> 3.1 will not
be available to these users. Software using system libs built against 3.0
with users having 3.1 will still encounter the bug, also.

Yes, we should also release a 3.1.1 where this is bumped to public API (I
believe that was consensus on IRC yesterday? I can't remember).


More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list