[FFmpeg-devel] libavcodec: add timer bitstream filter [v2]

Andreas Håkon andreas.hakon at protonmail.com
Wed Aug 7 11:01:48 EEST 2019

Hi Alexander,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, 7 de August de 2019 0:24, Alexander Strasser <eclipse7 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Andreas!
>
> On 2019-08-05 17:25 +0000, Andreas Håkon wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 5 de August de 2019 17:31, Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > In about half of the existing BSFs, this would be called "timer_bsf". I
> > > don't care, I just look at other existing code. ;-)
> >
> > Good point! Other bitstream filters have this. I'll update it.
> > Thank you!
>
> Sorry for the noise. IIRC the naming was previously discussed.
> Can't remember the details right now. Unfortunately I don't have
> any good name suggestions too :(
>
> This is no objections, but at least to me the name timer sounds
> like some autonomous unit/process that can interrupt/call your
> process on defined/configured/subscribed intervals. Maybe it's
> just me...
>
> ...what do others think?

It's nitial name was "retimer". After a suggestion I changed to "timer".
Other options can be "timestamp", "synchronizer", etc.
However, they're all a little vague.

Therefore, I ask someone to present an appropriate name taking
into account the objective: shifting the PTS/DTS marks of a stream.

You like "timeshift"?

Regards.
A.H.

---