[FFmpeg-devel] VDD FFmpeg meeting

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Nov 6 13:32:24 EET 2019

Hello fellow multimedia developers,

This week-end, the VDD conference is happening in Tokyo.
Subjects are everything related to low-level multimedia.

Since an important number of developers from the FFmpeg community will be present, we will try and discuss a few topics, on the Sunday. But to be more inclusive, the meeting will be joinable from the distance with Skype/Hangouts/Something-similar and live on IRC.

Since we've had a few heated discussions in the past months, I would suggest to discuss the hot topics, and probably prepare future votes on some item points, so remote participation is very welcome. Those votes will likely happen by email after the discussions, so everyone has time to think about it, and note vote during the heat of the moment.

The meeting should happen on Sunday, 15:00 local time (I think 7am in Europe, and 10pm USA west cost), if everything goes as planned :D It will might be long, since we have lots to cover.

I would also advise us to do this more regularly (every month? every 2 months?), to smooth things out, before the blow up on IRC or on the mailing lists.
And to be able to fine-tune the decisions, since it's difficult to get everything right the first time.

Here are some of the topics that people have brought up to me.
Those are in no way binding or impossible to extend: it is very likely that we won't cover everything and I would also love new topics to discuss, that I forgot.

In no particular order:

  - General Decision making
      - voting powers
      - decision procedure

  - Conflict resolution
      - technical debates
      - community conflicts (including CoC?)

   - Developer meetings
      - what format
      - when / regular schedule
      - as an instance for decision making?

  - Technical points:
     - development process policies
     - gitlab or not, MR or not
     - API changes schedule
     - release schedule
     - code quality and reviews
     - splitting repos or not,
     - CI, CD, fuzzing etc...

   - Legal points:
     - nvidia & other hw APIs
     - decklink
     - NDI
     - hosting

Please share your ideas about points, and other points.
There is no need to debate those ideas now yet :)

With my very best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734