[FFmpeg-devel] Is it ok to add G.722.1 decoder as external lib?

Hyun Yoo easetheworld at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:38:12 EEST 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Tomas Härdin <tjoppen at acc.umu.se> wrote:

> tor 2019-09-19 klockan 13:58 +0900 skrev Hyun Yoo:
> > >
> > > Please provide your patch by either sending it to this mailing list
> > > or putting it somewhere so it is kept for interested people (after
> > > the kind reactions you received).
> >
> > Let me sum up.
> > Non-free codecs are not allowed in ffmpeg codebase except
> > linked as external lib like fdk-aac (added to EXTERNAL_LIBRARY_NONFREE_LIST)
>
> Non-free originally came to be because of fdk-aac, which is open source
> but doesn't meet the requirements of the (L)GPL. Some have taken this
> to mean that we should include wrappers for proprietary codecs, which
> has also been done (arguably by mistake) for things like NDI. This has
> led to much friction..

So non-free codec should be in ffmpeg internally/externally
and fdk-aac is an exception. got it.

> I think we should try and talk to FreeSwitch and/or Polycom and see if
> we can get them to relicense to something suitable. If Polycom are
> worried about competitors, perhaps they would agree to dual license
> under the AGPL?
>
> /Tomas

I don't know about relicense thing...but I did contacted FreeSwitch/Polycom.
I sent email to Steve Underwood(author of libg722_1) and Brian
West(one of FreeSwitch founder)
and they said I can use the libg722_1 in freeswitch repo.
I also left note in polycom.com - 'Contact Us'  and still waiting for answer.