[FFmpeg-devel] Status and Plans for Subtitle Filters

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Thu Feb 27 13:35:03 EET 2020

Quoting Hendrik Leppkes (2020-02-27 12:27:09)
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
> > Why does it need to be within AVFrame? I am still unconvinced that is a
> > good idea. What do we gain from storing them in the same struct?
> > It makes sense for audio and video, because they are similar in many
> > important aspects (and even then there are people saying that they
> > should be separate). Subtitles are even more different.
> >

> You gain a unified API, which we already have now, intead of a
> secondary API just for subtitles thats practically the same but
> accepts different structs.
> This makes everything a lot easier imho. You can decode whatever input
> data into an AVFrame, you can filter your AVFrame, still without
> needing special data paths, and only at the last step after all of
> that do you need to possibly care when it comes to output. If you're
> encoding again, you might not even have that.

AFAIU one of the still-open questions for the subtitle redesign is what
does it mean to decode or encode a subtitle. And one of the options is
putting the AVPacket->"decoded subtitle" (whatever that is) and "decoded
subtitle"->AVPacket conversions into a separate library.

--
Anton Khirnov

--
elenril