[FFmpeg-devel] Why this is happening? CUDA ERROR OUT OF MEMORY

Rodrigo Dal Ri rodrigo.dalri at technobox.com.br
Wed Jan 29 14:13:58 EET 2020

Hi guys,

I am using ffmpeg to transcode some live channels, but I'm having a recurring problem.
All the time I get a CUDA out of memory error( attached print ), even though the video card has nothing to process.
I build my ffmpeg following the NVIDIA FFmpeg Transcoding Guide ( https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-ffmpeg-transcoding-guide/ ).
I already used the following setups, but in all the error keeps happening .

First Setup:
OS: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 64 bits
kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic
GPU: Quadro P4000
driver: 440.33.01

Second Setup:
OS: CentOS 8.1.1911
kernel: 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1.x86_64
GPU: Quadro P4000
driver: 440.33.01

Third Setup:
OS: CentOS 8.1.1911
kernel: 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1.x86_64
GPU: Quadro P4000
driver: 435.21 Short Lived

F ourth Setup:
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS
kernel: 4.4.0-148-generic
GPU: Quadro P4000
driver: 435.21 Short Lived

Fifth Setup:
OS: CentOS 8.1.1911
kernel: 4.18.0-147.3.1.el8_1.x86_64
GPU: Quadro P4000
driver: 440.33.01

According to what I researched this error can be caused by a possible combination between OS, kernel, gpu and driver. ( https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74738-42018-nvenc-sometimes-randomly-fails-with-cuda-error-out-of-memory-out-of-memory/ )

Can someone help me?
Thanks.