[FFmpeg-devel] [aarch64] improve hscale by 50% with multi-threading

Sebastian Pop sebpop at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:32:47 EEST 2020

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 1:35 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Multithreading support should be added in a architecture independant way

Attached patch moves helper threads up from hscale to
chr_h_scale and lum_h_scale in an architecture independent way.
This new version of the patch improves performance
by up to 135% on Graviton2 Arm64 and by up to 95% on Intel.
Compared to the previous version of the patch,
there is more uninterrupted work per thread that results
in better performance.

Please let me know how I can improve the patch.

There are other functions (lum_convert and chr_convert)
that may benefit from multi-threading.
I have not seen these functions appearing on a hot profile.
Is there a benchmark for those functions?

Thanks,
Sebastian