[FFmpeg-devel] Kicked out Paul from IRC

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Jun 14 21:37:41 EEST 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 07:40:43PM +0200, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 6/14/20, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > Just for your information, I kicked out Paul from the IRC channel
> > #ffmpeg-devel.
> >
> > The IRC log is the following:
> >
> > 19:23 <@durandal_1707> Watch me now removing sonic crap
> > 19:24 <@durandal_1707> you insensitve clod
> > 19:24 <@j-b> Watch me now removing your commit access
> > 19:24 < thardin> does anyone use sanic?
> > 19:24 <@j-b> thardin: probably not.
> > 19:25 <@j-b> thardin: should it be removed? probably yes
> > 19:25 < thardin> feels like one of those things that should be an external
> > lib
> > 19:25 <@j-b> thardin: +1
> > 19:25 <@j-b> but that's not the question here.
> > 19:25 <@durandal_1707> it is experimental
> > 19:25 <@j-b> So what?
> > 19:26 <@j-b> the AAC encoder was experimental for years
> > 19:26 <@durandal_1707> nobody is using it and it is not working at all
> > 19:26 <@durandal_1707> it is in very poor state
> > 19:26 <@j-b> All of that is totally agreed on.
> > 19:26 <@j-b> But that's not how a community works.
> > 19:26 <@durandal_1707> you are same person like hitler was then
> > 19:27 <@durandal_1707> somebody is higher race than others
> > 19:27 -!- durandal_1707 was kicked from #ffmpeg-devel by j-b [fuck off]
> > 19:27 <@j-b> This is absolutely not acceptable.
> > 19:27 <@j-b> Not even as a joke.
> >
> > Calling me Hitler for requesting a community decision on a codec removal is
> > absolutely not acceptable.
> > (That's why we vote btw).
> >
> > This mail is just to inform the community, of the fact that I did kick him
> > out from this channel (I did not ban, of course)
>
> The part I was arguing is applying patches which are clearly blocked.

This is incorrect.
there where 2 developers in favor of applying the fixes in the thread,
1 against.

Also if we have fixes to bugs affecting maintained releases. And there
is ZERO dispute about the fixes itself, they should be applied.
We owe this our users.

And to block bugfixes there should be technical reasons. Not just dislike
toward the module in which a bug is fixed

And about removing sonic, you know did you ever actually ask me or discuss
this with me ?
I dont care if we remove sonic in its current form. What i care about a bit
is finding issues affecting our releases and fixing these bugs
in recent releases and in master.
Also iam interrested in designing a modern audio codec for fun once (if i find
the time), and if by then sonic.c is still around i might just put the code in
there. Just because that would be the obvious place to put such code in.

Thanks & peace++ & drama--

> Some developers apparently can do that. And other developers opinions
> means nothing much.

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch