[FFmpeg-devel] JPEG2000 Decoder/Encoder Enhancements

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Mar 23 19:03:17 EET 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 06:58:24PM +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am So., 22. März 2020 um 18:27 Uhr schrieb Gautam Ramakrishnan
> <gautamramk at gmail.com>:
>
> > I saw the list of unmentored projects for GSoC and enhancements to the
> > JPEG2000 decoder and encoder were there. I am finding it very
> > difficult to make a proposal as the specifications are not available
> > for free. However, I am willing to work on improving the JPEG2000
> > features even if it is not through GSoC if someone can guide me
> > through it.
> >
> > I will basically need some guidance on the specifications and some
> > advice on how to go about implementing the missing features. Could I
> > take this up even if it is not a part of GSoC?
>
> Google can find an (old but probably usable) version of the standard.
>
> You can only work on this task if you find a mentor;-(

i can help mentoring a jpeg2000 related project but the standard is a bit
convoluted. And while i do know jpeg2000 a bit iam no jpeg2000 expert.
So for many detail questions i would have to spend considerable time
looking through the specification. I dont have the time for doing that
alot
So if Gautam can wrap his head around the specification and has the time
to decipher the details where needed. Meaning if the majority of the
time spend is on Gautam or whoever does the work then i can (help) mentor
it probably

Thanks

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates