[FFmpeg-devel] WHIP - Webrtc Http Ingest Protocol

Sergio Garcia Murillo sergio.garcia.murillo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 23:41:32 EEST 2020

On 11/09/2020 17:29, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 11:31, Sergio Garcia Murillo <
> sergio.garcia.murillo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> WebRTC can be an intimidating monster, and we all are aware of that.
>> Also, the fact that every webrtc media server/service has their own
>> custom protocol has not helped to increase its adoption in the streaming
>> world, with still relies heavily on other protocols like RTMP, SRTP or
>> even RTSP for ingesting content.
>>
>> In order to try to broaden the adoption of WebRTC in the streaming
>> world, and make it available in OSS tools like ffmpeg, gstreamer and
>> OBS, we have created the Webrtc Http ingest protocol (WHIP), so the same
>> implementation works across several (hopefully most) webrtc services and
>> media servers.
>>
> There are plenty of protocols for content ingest that are widely used
> (RTMP, SRT, RIST etc) that are far superior to anything WebRTC can do.
> Why are you conflating a delivery protocol (WebRTC) with ingest? When you
> have a hammer everything seems to look like a nail.

Because when you have a WebRTC server/service, you need WebRTC ingest.
You may be surprised by the amount of mixed RTC/streaming services that
are being implemented as we speak since COVID.

You may argue that it is a much lower number than traditional
streaming/broadcasting, which I agree, but you should not diminish then
as it is still a huge (and with lots of potential) market.

Again, this is not about comparing protocols, not trying to convince
anyone to use it instead of SRT/RIST, but trying to find a way to solve
a feature highly requested in the WebRTC community. None of the proposed
solutions works for us if we want end to end delivery with WebRTC.

So I will rephrase my question, in terms of adding whip to ffmpeg, given
current state of implementation and architecture of ffmpeg, is there
anything that can be changed in the protocol so it is easier to implement?

Best regards

Sergio