[FFmpeg-devel] Bunch of questions from a newbie.

Paul Buxton paulbuxton.mail at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:28:18 EEST 2021

Hi everyone.
I am planning on doingsome work on ffmpeg. The first thing I notice is that
the Ubuntu build instructions on the wiki aren't currently working with
Ubuntu 20. It seems that you need to install gnutls-dev as well as
unistring-dev. Is there a review process for content on the wiki, or should
I just add those dependencies?

My plan is to implement a filter (or several) for correcting
underwater video. The algorithm I will be using works in a couple of steps.
1. Analyse frame and calculate a corrective transform matrix
2. Apply transform matrix.

Would you typically split these up into separate filters (so that they are
reusable), or should I keep them as a single filter?

The filter operates in the RGB domain. Should I make the filter handle YUV
as well by implementing a manual yuv to rgb conversion, or will the filter
chain handle this automatically?

Is the input to a filter linear or gamma corrected?

Thanks,
Paul