[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 4.4

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Mar 10 12:37:58 EET 2021

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 05:55:55PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 3/9/2021 5:47 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I will branch release/4.4 soon
> > then like always leave some time for testing, bugfixes, ... and then
> > make FFmeg 4.4 from release/4.4, its too long since 4.3
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I have three API changes/additions/deprecations on the ml, some for months
> now, that i want in 4.4 in order for them to be present in the last release
> using the current major library versions. This is so users have a good
> amount of time to notice them and adapt their code.
> It's not be as nice if they start noticing any new deprecations introduced
> today in a release made several months from now.
>
> These are "deprecate av_init_packet() and sizeof(AVPacket) as part of the
> ABI", "avutil/buffer: change public function and struct size parameter types
> to size_t", and "avcodec: add a get_encoder_buffer() callback to
> AVCodecContext".
> The first two still need to be LGTM's. The latter was LGTM' by Lynne, but
> I'm still waiting for Mark to give his.

sizeof(AVPacket) should not be part of the public API/ABI, well it should
never have been.
Do we maybe need a list of release blocking issues on trac or some tag or
something ? So issues like this are more vissible to everyone, its not
optimal to get a list of release blockers relatively late, then rush it
and then have a higher risk for regressions

anyway, tell me once the blockers are resolved, and please dont rush, its
better if we are a few days later than if there are some major bugs introduced

Thanks

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.