[FFmpeg-devel] DRM decryption with FFmpeg

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Mar 11 19:37:47 EET 2021

> On 9 Mar 2021, at 10:44, zsugabubus <zsugabubus at national.shitposting.agency> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was not able to find any patches or mails, only two open tickets that
> mention DRM decryption in some way:
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1793
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1800
>
> ...however there were no updates for years. I do not know it is because
> the lack of interest or the lack of manpower but I would like to help
> making some progress in this topic.
>
> There were any plans/ideas about how DRM encrypted content should be
> handled (other than those tickets above)? I mean API or such. Or was
> that all the discussion about it and it is totally okay if somebody just
> submits some code for RFC?

“DRM” is problematic word to choose, since it’s unclear what you might mean with
that (DRM itself in the meaning of somehow trying to allow users to decode the
data only in certain ways and contexts is not possible to implement in OpenSource
that is worth the name), not to mention potential legal questions.
If the question is just about various encryption methods and supporting decrypting them,
there is an API to set a decryption key, supported by MXF and it seems some
stuff for MOV as well, maybe more I did not see.