[FFmpeg-devel] warning about configuration mismatch between ff* binaries and libraries

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Mon Apr 11 10:47:23 EEST 2022

Quoting zhilizhao(赵志立) (2022-04-11 05:15:59)

> > On Apr 11, 2022, at 5:31 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Developers!
> > I'm curious about the warning about configuration mismatch between ff*
> > binaries and the libraries introduced in:
> >
> > https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/9120e2cd3fadfa60269e94f97fc8107974c586fc
> >
> > At Fedora, we're interested in having two builds: one built with limited
> > set of codecs[1] that is legally distributable in the US (since Red Hat,
> > Fedora sponsor is a US-based company) and another, with a more complete
> > set of codecs[2] distributed by RPM Fusion. The builds are intended to
> > be drop-in replacements. We'd like to be able to distribute just one set
> > of ff* binaries and only have two different interchangeable builds of
> > libraries.
> >
> > The idea is to have the builds differ by enabled codecs only and have
> > the rest of the configuration the same (even if it's not the case
> > today).
> >
> > So, does that warning still make sense today? Will something break
> > if we swap the libraries but keep the binary on user systems?
>
> That’s exactly an example of why the warning is useful. Otherwise user can
> be confused why some codecs are missing while banner says they are enabled
> by configure. So yes, the warning still make sense.

I would prefer to not show all that noise in the banner, which would
also resolve the confusion. Build information should be reduced to
loglevel verbose IMO.

I would also be in favor of removing the mismatch warning. Different
builds are supposed to be ABI-compatible, so mismatching configuration
is not a cause for a warning.

--
Anton Khirnov