[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.0 LTS vs 5.1 LTS

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 21:38:48 EEST 2022

On 4/25/2022 2:19 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 01:51:26PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022, at 18:36, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> Do people prefer that 5.0 becomes LTS or the next (5.1) ?
>>> Or something else ?
>>
>> My understanding of the consensus was;
>> - 5.0 in Dec/Jan
>> - 5.1 in Jul with API additions, but no ABI/behavior breakage
>
> yes
>

>> - 6.0 in Dec 22 with ABI/API/behavior breakage and while 5.1 becomes LTS
>
> we could give 5.1 an LTS "tag" when its released already
> also thers the possibility that by december we have nothing that really
> benefits from a ABI/API/behavior breakage.
> If that happens people might prefer 5.2 over 6.0 i dont know.

An ABI bump doesn't need to be justified by the need to break something
for the sake of an addition, like new fields to structs with ABI-tied
size (of which there are not many, for that matter). It could simply be
done in an scheduled manner to get rid of deprecated stuff that's old
enough to be dropped, giving the project some predictability, and
keeping the tree clean-ish.