[FFmpeg-devel] proposal for a minor change in the behavior of the drawtext filter

Francesco Carusi klimklim at tiscali.it
Tue Apr 26 13:15:16 EEST 2022

Hi Nicolas,

thanks for your feedback. I think there is a misunderstanding due to my
little experience with this community.
I'm actually modifying the drawtext filter to enhance some of its
features, as I described in the IRC channel, but in my message I
mentioned only the "line spacing" since it would be the only one change
that would break the compatibility with the old interface. I apologise
for that and I think I should better describe all the changes I'm
working on.

The main reason for me to modify the drawtext filter, is that I need a
way to write text on a video that is consistent with other tools, like
text editors, browsers, or GIMP. I mean: what users see on the other
tools should be almost identical to what they see on the video. The
changes I'm implementing to achieve this objective (and some other minor
features I need in my project, but that may be useful for all users) are:

1) Use the libharfbuzz library to shape text
2) Use the font-defined line height as default spacing between lines
3) Introduce 1/4 pixel precision for glyph positioning
4) Extend the concept of "box" around text, allowing the user to specify
its with and height or to have them be computed automatically
5) Allow users to specify text alignment in horizontal and vertical
directions
6) Add some variables that the users can insert in expressions (to add
more flexibility to text positioning)

-- New configuration parameters:
boxw        -> the box width (default: automatically computed to include
all text)
boxh        -> the box height(default: automatically computed to include
all text)
text_align  -> the alignment of text inside the box. The value must be a
string of lenght 2,
                one character for horizontal alignment: L(eft),
C(enter), R(ight)
                and one for vertical alignment T(op), M(iddle), B(ottom)
                The default value would be 'LT'

-- Changed configuration parameters:
line_spacing
     -> the default line height is set to the font-defined line height
     -> the line_spacing parameter, if specified, sets the actual line
height
        (line_height = line_spacing)
     -> the default value of line_spacing is set to -1 (which means:
        use the default line height)

-- New variables (for expressions):
top_a       -> the maximum glyph ascender of the first line
bottom_d    -> the maximum glyph descender of the last line
font_a      -> the font-defined ascender
font_d      -> the font-defined descender

Apart from the line_spacing parameter, I'm trying to keep the maximum
compatibility with the current drawtext interface. As Michael Koch
mentioned in his message, also the meaning of the 'y' parameter may be
changed to improve the filter interface, but it would also break its
compatibility with the current implementation.

Thanks for reading!