[FFmpeg-devel] Enhancement layers in FFmpeg

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:17:12 EEST 2022

From my (rather limited) angle of view, my thoughts are these:

When decoding these kinds of sources, a user would typically not only
want to do the processing in hardware but the decoding as well.

I think we cannot realistically expect that any of the hw decoders
will add support for this in the near future. As we cannot modify
those ourselves, the only way to do such processing would be a
hardware filter. I think, the EL data would need to be attached
to frames as some kind of side data (or similar) and get uploaded
by the hw filter (internally) which will apply the EL data.

(I have no useful thoughts for sw decoding)

> (What about the case of Dolby Vision, which iirc requires handling
> the
> DoVi RPU metadata before the EL can be applied? What about instances
> where the user wants the DoVi/EL application to happen on GPU, e.g.
> via
> libplacebo in mpv/vlc?)

IMO it would be desirable when both of these things would/could be
done in a single operation.

> How does this metadata need to be attached? A second AVFrame
> reference
> inside the AVFrame? Raw data in a big side data struct?

As long as it doesn't have its own format, its own start time,
resolution, duration, color space/transfer/primaries, etc..
I wouldn’t say that it's a frame.

Best regards,
softworkz