[FFmpeg-devel] Towards YUVJ removal

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:56:27 EET 2022

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 12:49 PM Niklas Haas <ffmpeg at haasn.xyz> wrote:

> So, as was discussed at the last meeting, we should move towards
> removing YUVJ. I want to gather feedback on what appears to be to the
> major hurdle, and possible ways to solve it.
>
> The basic major issue is how to handle the case of combining limited
> range input with an encoder for a format that only accepts full range
> data. The common case, for example, would be converting a frame from a
> typical video file to a JPEG:
>
> $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i smptebars -vframes 1 output.jpg
>
> Currently, this works because the JPEG encoder only advertises YUVJ
> pixel formats, and therefore ffmpeg auto-inserts swscaler to convert
> from limited range to full range. But this depends on conflating color
> range and pixel formats, which is exactly what has been marked
> deprecated for an eternity.
>
> Now, there are some solutions I can see for how to handle this case in
> a non-YUVJ world:
>
> 1. Simply output an error, and rely on the user to insert a conversion
>    filter, e.g.:
>
>    $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i smptebars -vframes 1 output.jpg
>    error: inputs to jpeg encoder must be full range
>
>    $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i smptebars -vframes 1 -vf scale=out_range=jpeg output.jpg
>    ... works
>
> 2. Have the JPEG encoder take care of range conversion internally, by
>    using sws to convert limited to full range.
>
> 3. Allow filters to start exposing color space metadata as part of
>    filter negotiation, and then auto-insert swscaler whenever colorspace
>    conversion needs to happen as a result of filters not accepting the
>    corresponding color metadata. This would also allow more than just
>    conversion between limited/full range.
>
> 4. Combine approach 1 with an encoder flag for "supports full range
>    only", and have ffmpeg.c auto-insert a scale filter as the last step
>    before the encoder if this flag is set (and input is limited range).
>
> 1 would be the most explicit but would break any existing pipeline that
> includes conversion to jpeg, which is probably a very large number.
>
> 2 would be the least work, but violates abstraction boundaries.
>
> 3 would be the most work and is, IMO, of questionable gain.
>
> 4 would be both explicit and not break existing workflows.

Some sort of metadata has to be present to indicate this. It is not
reasonable to assume users magically know what range a codec accepts,
and then go out of their way to hardcode a list that might need full
range.

So 1 alone is entirely not reasonable, especially if you think eg.
about an API user, who might create an app that may not show the
immediate error message, or even have a button to insert a scaler.
Instead the API should contain all the information for an application
to make the right choices if necessary.
Of course I already see people argue that JPEG accepts both depending
on standards compliance etc, but the metadata should allow me to make
the encoder work without needing to set standard compliance to some
value. Or in other words, it should just work the most
straight-forward way, without needing special knowledge about the
encoder or even format.

For mjpegenc this probably means it should only advertise full range.
Or this information needs to somehow be context-sensitive and allow me
to indicate the standards compliance value I care for. If the encoder
indicates both limited and full, but errors out on limited, thats not
useful.

- Hendrik