[FFmpeg-devel] Would a crypto file be acceptable?

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:53:26 EET 2022

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 11:40 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Mark Gaiser (12022-12-21):
> > While this works just fine, it's limited in use because the cryptography
> > details have to be passed on the command line. Applications that might
> well
> > support much of ffmpeg functionality can't easily hook into the crypto
> > functionality. Take KODI for example, it allows playback of many of the
> > formats ffmpeg supports but anything with crypto just isn't possible. In
> > fact, anything that requires custom command line arguments isn't
> possible.
> > [2]
> >
> > My idea is to make a new file format that would be implemented and
> specced
> > within [1]. My proposed format would be:
> >
> > ---
> > CRYPTO-VERSION:1
> > CRYPTO-KEY:URI:.....
> > CRYPTO-IV:URI:.....
> > encrypted_file
> > ---
>
> The concat demuxer can already contain options, and despite is name it
> can be used with a single file.

Could you elaborate on how to use that:?

The end result needs to be:
ffplay <file>

that needs to translate to:
ffplay crypto://encrypted_file -decryption_key $AES_KEY -decryption_iv
$AES_IV

I briefly looked at the concat demuxer but couldn't see how to get this
desired result.
If you know how, please let me know!