[FFmpeg-devel] Rework color quantization in palette{gen,use}

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Wed Dec 28 01:31:46 EET 2022

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 10:37:59PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:
[...]
> For completeness, I'm also including the recent comparison, but it
> seems you're already on track in this regard.

If you remove the alpha from the input image you'll see that it performs
pretty much as good. You can check with the last results.

Please note though that it's expected to have elbg or even pngquant to get
better results, because they're relying on clustering algorithms afaik,
which are slower (but more efficient). It's a trade-off.

[...]
> Then I'd have a question about your file07 example. Is this the
> original file or did I mix something up?
>
> http://big.pkh.me/pal/output/0-current/file07/cfg00/0-ref.png
>
> I'm wondering because the image is full or weird artifacts at the
> edges of the green (and other) leafes.

I'm assuming this was the image with 1M+ colors; sorry I removed the file,
but yeah given the URL it was the reference file with weird artifacts
(it's a synthetic sample after all).

[...]
> PS: I'd be curious what you think about the elbg image...

If you want to look at elbg vs palette filters, make sure you disable
dithering (elbg doesn't have any), and make sure to use the sample without
transparency. You'll see that they perform mostly the same.

--
Clément B.