[FFmpeg-devel] Too many project ideas in GSOC 2022 FFmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Feb 23 18:22:34 EET 2022

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 07:24:15PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 08:59:16AM -0800, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > What is the typical size of a successful GSOC project? Any good
> > example(s) from the past?
>
> for past Results
> see: (and replace teh year by other years)
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2020/Results
>
> but also keep in mind it makes a big difference if the student had
> previously outside gsoc contributed to FFmpeg
>
> also this year there are multiple changes in GSOC
> there will be 2 project sizes and more people will be eligible IIUC

Note to everyone, please add the project duration to your entry on trac
this year there are 2 sizes, so we should say something about that.
It may be possible to also leave that open for now, ive seen other
organizations do that. But we should say something for each project.

Ive also reorganized my 2 projects so there is now a long and a short
one

and about the checkasm project, i think its a really good idea and i
hope someone will mentor it.
But as long as noone mentors it it should be moved to a section
for projects without mentors

I took the liberty to CC the people who added the other entries, as
the time before google reviews this is unknown to me

PS: And we need backup mentors for all projects, google has been allergic
to projects which do not list a backup mentor

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf