[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.2 ?

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:26:29 EET 2022

On 11/3/2022 6:59 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> do we want a release/5.2 branch made in december ?
>
> I think that would be what previous release shedule suggestions would
> point to
>
> thx

Changelog looks a tad short post 5.1, but i guess there has been more
work in refactoring and improving existing code than adding new features
that get mentioned there.

Also, afaik Debian freeze is in January, and i think it'd be best for us
if they go with 5.1, the release we declared LTS, than if they end up
going with 5.2 and thus force our hand to treat it as one too. So we
might want to postpone a new release until late January or February. It
would also give us time to decide if we do a major soname bump for it
too, to get rid of deprecated API that could be constraining new work (I
think Anton wanted some gone soon for that reason).