[FFmpeg-devel] GitHub releases section is very old

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Oct 29 22:31:04 EEST 2022

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 02:53:34PM +0200, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
> On 29.10.2022 14:36, * Neustradamus * wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > It is possible to remove all releases from GitHub?
> > Because at right, we can see and it is not good promotion for this active project:
> > - https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg
> >
> > Releases 11
> > FFmpeg 3.0 Release
> > Latest on 15 Feb 2016
> > + 10 releases
> > - https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/releases
> >
> > The important part is here:
> > - https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/tags
> >
> > But it is possible to add all time in releases section, a new release with changelog...
>
> We should probably delete all existing releases instead, so they don't cause
> confusion like this.
> Github is just a mirror, not any kind of official release channel.

ill wait a few days so others can comment and then remove all releases from
github if thats the consensus at the time

i was not aware we had a old subset of releases listed there

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable