[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 5.0

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Oct 30 22:10:07 EET 2022

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 02:29:56PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Michael Niedermayer
> <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > According to our
> > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Downstreams
> >
> > Noone and nothing is using 5.0
> > should i make another release of 5.0 ?
> > should i move 5.0 to olddownloads ?
> >
> > does anyone use it ? plan to use it or know of someone using it ?
> >

> Fedora 36 still uses FFmpeg 5.0 as I discovered there was an ABI break
> that made upgrading to FFmpeg 5.1 not possible for F36. FFmpeg 5.1 is
> used for Fedora 37, though.
>
> This had apparently been also discovered by openSUSE some time ago:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/multimedia:libs/ffmpeg-5/work-around-abi-break.patch?expand=1

You can replace 5.0 by 5.1 but not 5.1 by 5.0, The compatibility is only
in one way.
Iam assuming here you talk about the addition of functions and there is
not some other issue iam not aware of.

> Fedora 36 will still be supported until June, so I would appreciate it
> if another release of 5.0 would be made.

I have to admit i feel a bit undecided. Id like to first understand why
this situation/"need" exists for fedora but not others

> Do we have ABI testing in place for submitted patches? I haven't seen
> any evidence of CI testing of patches submitted to the mailing list,
> but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? If there is, maybe we can
> consider adding some kind of ABI testing for release branches, using
> tools like libabigail[1] with abidiff[2]?
>
> [1]: https://sourceware.org/libabigail/
> [2]: https://www.mankier.com/1/abidiff

iam not sure there is agreement between you and others of what is a ABI break
so the tool maybe will not help.

I have generaly done testing with replacing old libraries by new when doing
releases. But for me a ABI break is if replacing a library by another breaks
some binary that is not rebuild and linked to the new lib.

More testing is always good and welcome of course.

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway