[FFmpeg-devel] Patchwork issues

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Sep 26 22:28:38 EEST 2022

On 26.09.2022 16:26, Andriy Gelman wrote:
> On Mon, 26. Sep 14:46, Marvin Scholz wrote:
>> As I am not sure who else to email about this, I'll just post it here.
>>
>> I tried to register for Patchwork, however I got an error when registering.
>> I tried again and was told the account already exists, I tried to reset the
>> password for the account but did not get any email for that, so it seems
>> something is broken about Patchwork right now.
>
> I've been using outlook/gmail for sending emails, but unfortunately the accounts
> keep on getting flagged. So registration and password reset are not working
> at the moment.
>
> I need to set up a mail server. Suggestions for software are welcome. Maybe
> postfix?

Getting a mailserver up and running is sadly not an easy feat these days.
Microsoft, Google and a bunch of other "big players" do their utmost to
turn it into a closely walled garden.
I had to go through quite some trouble to be able to send mail to GMail
and Microsoft, and didn't bother with T-Online or GMX, so I can't send
mails there.

You'll want a setup of postfix+opendkim at the very least, and make sure
to properly set up SPF and DMARC while at it, otherwise your mail got no
chance from the get to go to get accepted anywhere.
You also cannot host those at any common hoster. DigitalOcean, AWS and
Google Cloud are usually blacklisted from sending mail.
Hetzner still seems to work, but the IP you get might have been sending
spam before and you will have a hard time fixing its reputation.