[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: HDR monitor

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Sat Apr 1 14:57:14 EEST 2023

Hi,

As some of you might know, I develop HDR->SDR tone mapping methods under
the libplacebo project, which is also available in FFmpeg as a video
filter (vf_libplacebo) and to my knowledge currently represents the
highest quality method of tone-mapping HDR to SDR with a filter.

I would like to further improve the quality of these algorithms, but I
am running into a lack of a proper HDR monitor to test on - most of my
existing work is done by a combination of guesswork, user feedback, and
staring at mathematical curves in a void.

I have done some research into the current state of the market and
determined that the current best compromise for an affordable,
HDR-capable OLED desktop monitor is the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 Gaming
Monitor. (Which, despite the "gaming" name, accurately tracks PQ up to
~1000 nits peak at 2%, has wide gamut coverage, and a decent enough
resolution thus representing an ideal budget monitor for my workflow)

The current price on Amazon is listed as 1329 EUR:
  https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-S34BG850SU-UWQHD-Aufl%C3%B6sung-Reaktionszeit-Bildwiederholrate/dp/B0BF5S7LSK/

If other developers agree to it, I would request to purchase this with
SPI funds.