[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH] fftools/ffmpeg: stop printing PSNR information in status report

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Thu Apr 20 09:42:52 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-04-20 00:12:48)
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:06:09PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-04-19 22:53:02)

> > > Are the values in the "otherwise" case maybe good enough so they
> > > worked for people with noone noticing ?
> >
> > While working on this with a 10bit sample I was suprised this code and
> > vf_psnr showed significantly different values (IIRC not even the first
> > digit was accurate) and it took me a while to realize the scaling made
> > the assumptions it did.

> > > Can anything missing in vf_psnr be added into it and then vf_psnr used ?
> > > I agree that duplicating PSNR code and logic is bad
> >
> > Nothing is missing in vf_psnr AFAIK, the difference is that these values
> > are produced directly by the encoder, so you don't need a
> > decoding+filtering pass to obtain the numbers.
>
> That sounds like a missing feature.
> vf_psnr cannot use the encoder values, it always needs to recompute them.
> The encoder could export these values in metadata and vf_psnr could
> then check if the frame pairs already have their psnr computed and use
> that.

In general I agree that making those values more widely usable would be
good, but there's a number of issues that would need to be addressed
first:
* encoders export encoded packet properties, but AFAIK no muxer can
  store them
* even if a muxer could store them or encoded packets could be directly
  passed to a decoder (this should actually be possible once I'm done
  with this work), the data is only defined for packets and not frames
* possibly something like showinfo would be more suited for displaying
  this
None of these are insurmountable, but it's a fair amount of work.
Patches welcome.

> > The question more broadly is - what is this supposed to be useful for?
> > PSNR is a highly flawed metric and AFAIU state of the art moved several
> > generations away from it. And for a quick-and-dirty quality estimate,
> > the bitrate and QP might be more informative for most users, and are
> > supported by more encoders. So what is the point of printing this
> > information?
>
> The "problem" isnt psnr specific
> having a filter which could provide another metric and be able to use
> encoder supplied data when available or compute them from encoder input +
> decoded images in a way that is automatic would be useful
> It would mean a single syntax a user could use to get the metric he wants
> while using the optimal implementation

The problem is PSNR-specific code in ffmpeg CLI that is blocking my
work. Sounds to me we are in agreement that this code should not be
there.

--
Anton Khirnov