[FFmpeg-devel] What is FFmpeg and what should it be

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 04:44:13 EEST 2023

On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 3:04 PM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Kieran Kunhya (12023-07-28):
> > FFmpeg doesn't implement TCP in userspace, it doesn't implement the
> > WiFi protocol etc etc. Different layers are delegated to different
> > programs.
>
> Hi. You seem to be discussing this in more good faith than I previously
> imagined, so I will try to tone done the irritation in my mails.

sorry for jumping in mid discussion, but shouldn't that be the case always?

But if people started to routinely use FFmpeg on some kind of
> bare-metal microcontroller where network hardware exists but the
> official network stack is too big to share the space with FFmpeg, and if
> somebody were to propose a limited network stack based on lavu's
> cryptographic primitives, then it would totally make sense to accept it.

no? that sounds a terrible maintenance burden in terms of both code size
and security issues, nobody wants that!
what could be a viable compromise is *maybe* providing the hooks where
needed where custom io and callbacks can be implemented, but afaict there
are plenty of those in ffmpeg already

FFmpeg has been successful because it relied on pragmatism rather than
> dogmatic adherence to principles. Let us continue that way.

ffmpeg has been successful because points of contentions were resolved with
consensus (most of the times) and not by sheer number of emails or email
length about the topic. I am not even familiar with this avradio thing but
if the community seems so against it, let's maybe find another solution
(separate library, repository, tool etc) instead of wasting time and energy
over the same points.
--
Vittorio