[FFmpeg-devel] What is FFmpeg and what should it be

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Aug 2 17:26:24 EEST 2023

On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 09:12:14AM -0500, Brad Isbell wrote:
> As a frequent FFmpeg user, and an occasional RTL-SDR user, the major
> tradeoff for me is in the size of FFmpeg binaries vs. features.  I
> agree with Jean-Baptiste that if this were an optional library to be
> added to the build, then that resolves any issues I might have as a
> user.

The libraries should be split into runtime loadable plugins
Not only would that make tools alot smaller it also would allow
development of code available in ffmpeg that is maintained outside
FFmpeg.

I suggested this previosuly, it is of course not a "simple" thing
to do.

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle