[FFmpeg-devel] What is FFmpeg and what should it be

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 7 18:39:10 EEST 2023

Le sunnuntaina 6. elokuuta 2023, 22.53.23 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit :

> > > yes, multiple times.
> > > Also normally patch objections come with a path forward, that was not
> > > the case here.
> >
> > Not necessarily, sometimes preventing a bad idea from happening is a
> > positive thing in itself, and no path forward is needed.
>
> That is missing that people suggest a path forward but
> with too few details to easily walk that path.

Uh, I hate to state the patently obvious, but if "no path forward is needed",
then there should logically be _no_ "details to walk [a] path". Conversely, if
avradio does not belong in FFmpeg, as Kieran, Tomas and others have been
arguing, then there is no path forward to be given on FFmpeg-devel.

And besides I don't think it's even fair to state that "too few details" were
given. People did suggest making this a new separate project properly isolated
from FFmpeg internals, and/or joining efforts with existing OSS SDR projects
rather than FFmpeg. Some specific projects have even been cited.

As far as FFmpeg(-devel) is concerned, I can't think how it could/should
reasonably get any more specific than that.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/