[FFmpeg-devel] What is FFmpeg and what should it be

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 8 21:53:11 EEST 2023

Le tiistaina 8. elokuuta 2023, 18.22.49 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> > > That is missing that people suggest a path forward but
> > > with too few details to easily walk that path.
> >
> > Uh, I hate to state the patently obvious, but if "no path forward is
> > needed", then there should logically be _no_ "details to walk [a] path".
> > Conversely, if avradio does not belong in FFmpeg, as Kieran, Tomas and
> > others have been arguing, then there is no path forward to be given on
> > FFmpeg-devel.
> >

> > And besides I don't think it's even fair to state that "too few details"
> > were given. People did suggest making this a new separate project
> > properly isolated from FFmpeg internals, and/or joining efforts with
> > existing OSS SDR projects rather than FFmpeg. Some specific projects have
> > even been cited.
> >
> > As far as FFmpeg(-devel) is concerned, I can't think how it could/should
> > reasonably get any more specific than that.
>
> The saying goes, one cannot win an Argument on the Internet.
> So, iam not trying to, but
>
> IIRC, a while ago you said iam obliged to work on FFmpeg. Thats
> simply not the case.

I have made some preposterous statements in my dark past, but I am pretty sure
that I didn't make any statement to that effect, no.

I did assert that there "are dozens of people, ostensibly including [you],
that depend on FFmpeg being ""Serious OpenSource TM"" in some way, for their
livelihood, and millions for their computer use" in response to NG's argument
that FFmpeg should be turned into a fun experimental research project, and
that people who wanted to keep FFmpeg what he calls a "serious open-source
trademark" should just fork.

> Its not an obligation but rather my choice that i like to work on
> something the end user will enjoy.

I don't think anybody denied your right to code whatever you want as a hobby.
We object to having SDR code in FFmpeg upstream, and I personally believe that
it would go against your own financial/business interest (c.f. quote above).

> And the end user, in fact
> more than 500 end users liked SDR in FFmpeg.

In all likelihood the vast majority of those 500 likes don't even have the
hardware to use the SDR code, have no interests in acquiring it, and would
like just about any new FFmpeg feature post. Without a statistically valid
reference for comparison, that number means basically nothing.

(Also announcing a feature that is not release-ready is generally very
inappropriate in my opinion.)

(...)
> You and vittorio here seem to suggest that instead there are no
> possible conditions and no path forward.

...within FFmpeg.

> Thus a fork would have to happen.

No. You are taking for granted that SDR belongs in FFmpeg in the first place,
and that's exactly what people disagree with.

I don't even get what's so hard to comprehend here. Plenty of people here
contirbute to other projects than FFmpeg, and/or have started other projects
than FFmpeg for their other hobby coding activities. Just because you have
personally been strongly associated with FFmpeg does not mean that everything
you has to fit inside of it.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/