[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: TC/CC elections

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Sat Dec 2 12:46:23 EET 2023

On Sat, 02 Dec 2023 11:24:39 +0100 Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
> So, given that we've had no further reports about voting mistakes, I'm
> leaning towards NOT redoing the vote. If anyone has strong opinions one
> way or another, feel welcome to comment. Either way we should make a
> decision before the vote is closed on Tuesday.

One wrong vote out of 51 eligible is an error rate substantially below
the average for any kind of vote, ever. I would assume this has a lower
impact on the overall results than other sources of noise (mood,
weather, recent events, ...), and certainly less error than trying to
re-do the vote would introduce.

Also, if we now start to question a vote's validity over such minor
inconsistensies, after all the recent vote drama, we will begin to set
a rather nasty precedent for how future votes should be treated.

Finally, remember that human beings make mistakes and can misread even
the most basic of instructions. That somebody voted incorrectly is
neither fault of the explanation nor of the person voting, and IMO
bikeshedding how many ways to rephrase "higher number = more good" is
not a productive use of anybody's time.