[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] fftools/ffmpeg and libavdevice/sdl issue

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Dec 13 11:44:13 EET 2023

Anton Khirnov (12023-12-13):
> Honestly I don't see how this could be done in ffmpeg CLI without
> disgusting hacks,

As I said: do not expect it to be fixed.

Or we could revert the whole half-baked series.

>		    but before that the question is: why is there an SDL
> "muxer" and why would anyone want to use it in ffmpeg CLI? What actual
> use cases does it serve that cannot be better handled otherwise?

No, not “before that”. You have no authority to demand an answer to
that question before helping fixing the feature you broke.

That feature was added. That means its usefulness was obvious to the
person who spent efforts implementing it, and to the persons who
discussed it at the time and helped it happen. Its usefulness is also
useful to the person who is trying to fix it right now. The fact that
the usefulness is not evident to YOU is a failure of your imagination,
not a characteristic of the feature.

If you are curious, you can ask, POLITELY, that people tell you what
they use it for.

But despite what your behavior seems to imply, you are not FFmpeg's
dictator, you cannot demand people convince YOU to keep a feature or
decide to remove or break it.

--
  Nicolas George