[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] fftools/ffmpeg and libavdevice/sdl issue

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Dec 14 11:35:56 EET 2023

Anton Khirnov (12023-12-14):
> As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you can just as well pipe raw
> video in yuv4mpeg or nut to the video player of your choice and thus

As was already mentioned elsewhere in the thread, this solution has a
lot more drawbacks.

> avoid all these hacks.

Please refrain from calling other people's work hacks.

> I have to strongly disagree. This is neither practically workable,
> nor a good goal to aim at.

And I strongly agree with Stefano. Having the tools just thin wrappers
around the libraries is the only way to ensure the libraries are
maximally useful for other applications. Otherwise, useful code will
only reside in the tools and be only available through a clumsy
command-line interface.

>			     This mindset IMO inevitably leads to (among
> other problems):
> * endless scope creep
> * bloated, inefficient, and buggy libraries, trying (and failing) to
>   support every use case under the sun
> * myopic API design aimed at fulfilling the needs of precisely one
>   caller; this is a problem e.g avfilter badly suffers from, and to a
>   lesser extent avformat

I see no argument supporting this opinion of yours. Quite the opposite,
over the years, Stefano and others, including me, have made some headway
in this direction without hitting these pitfalls.

--
  Nicolas George