[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] fftools/ffmpeg and libavdevice/sdl issue

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Dec 19 11:29:04 EET 2023

Rémi Denis-Courmont (12023-12-19):
> As others noted earlier, that won't work for Mac and Windows.

If it works on Linux and other real Unixes, it is a lot better than if
it does not work on any platform. And we should still blame whoever
broke it rather than whoever is trying to fix it.

> Starting a process from a library is not very practical. You need to
> locate the executable and the way to do that is different if you're
> working with a proper installation, or testing in the development
> tree.

You are confusing starting a process and executing a new executable.

> And then you need an IPC, which is not portable, and not very
> different from the piping alternative proposal up-thread.

It is a lot different in the fact that it is automatic.

> To me, that counts as a horrible hack for a library to have, TBH.

What? Having an API tu run functions in the main thread is a basic
feature for any kind of threading architecture. See g_idle_add() for
example: “the callback will be invoked in whichever thread is running
that main context”.

--
  Nicolas George