[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] fftools/ffmpeg and libavdevice/sdl issue

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Dec 19 14:51:21 EET 2023

Rémi Denis-Courmont (12023-12-19):
> Anton's objections are against the horrible hacks necessary to support
> Mac and Windows, as far as I understand him.

I have not read that. If that is true, maybe he could start with
refraining from using expressions like “horrible hacks”.

> Of course it's also objectionable for SDL to be modelled as a muxer,

Sigh. Do we have to explain this once again? Devices have to present as
muxers and demuxers in order to be usable transparently by applications
designed for plain files. And anyway, the manner frames enter or leave a
device is orthogonal to the implementation of said device, so bringing
this question in the discussion is irrelevant.

> Running on the main thread (the initial thread of an address space)
> requires an external executable

No. Or [citation needed].

> Besides, starting a new process without execution of an executable, in
> other words, forking without executing, is essentially impossible in a
> multithreaded Unix-like environment,

It is less than standards-compliant and portable, but it is doable.

> since FFmpeg is not async-fork-safe.

This is something that should be fixed, do you not think?

> Oh really? And the POSIX thread function to run on the main thread is
> what exactly?
>
> You're conflating main-loops and threads here.

I called them “threading infrastructure”, you called them “main-loops”.
Can we stop nitpicking on words and make an honest attempt at
understanding what the other is saying or is it too much to ask?

--
  Nicolas George