[FFmpeg-devel] Initial tickering at unifying ProRes encoder

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 12:56:56 EET 2023

On date Monday 2023-12-11 02:35:01 +0100, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm currently investigating an issue¹ affecting Kostya ProRes encoder
> which is not reproducible with Anatoliy encoder (but it's too early to
> say if the bug is not present there as well given the differences in
> quantization, and it's also unclear if the issue is even actually
> there in the first place and not in M2/M3 firmwares).
>
> Since these encoders share more than similiarities, I've been looking
> into their differences, and unifying their common codepaths was helpful
> to my investigation.
>
> Attached is an initial patchset working out their differences by either
> sharing data or making code identical where relevant.
>
> I will continue that work as the investigation progresses. The
> quantization work might require more involved changes though.
>
> Regards,
>
> ¹ https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10255

Hi Clement.

Most patches look good to me. You can skip style comments in patches
3, 4, 15 if they complicate the rebase.

About functional changes in 9 and 27, I assume the one in 27 is an
overlook, while 9 could be a lecit change but in this case I assume
the output changes should be spotted by a test - not sure we have such
a test in place to compare kostya/anatoliy encoders output.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I misread the changes, but having the test
would be good anyway.

Thanks.