[FFmpeg-devel] Request for assistance with adding new pixel format (NV12_8L128) in FFmpeg

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 8 19:38:07 EET 2023

Le keskiviikkona 8. helmikuuta 2023, 16.27.52 EET Devin Heitmueller a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 8:08 AM Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> > Do we really need those PIX_FMT in FFmpeg public API?
>
> Tiled formats are annoying, but not uncommon in popular embedded
> platforms (e.g. NXP iMX, TI Davinci).

Uh, not to deny that, but tiled formats are in no way an embedded thing, as
you imply. They are also used by desktop GPUs. And that is not really
relevant, I would argue, to the discussion, either way.

> Of course ffmpeg could choose
> to ignore them, but it would effectively prevent it from being used on
> those platforms (and it's pretty essential to use the hardware blocks
> to do any real video processing).

Insofar as the format is *only* used by a single module, I don't see the need
to assign it a pixel format in libavutil. You could just as well define a
generic V4L format that would be used for all weird V4L formats that nothing
other than V4L code understands.

Ditto tiled DRM pixel formats for that matter. And while V4L is maybe not
there yet, DRM has introduced format modifiers that anyway preclude any simple
enumeration. My point being, there needs to be a way to further specify
framework-specific formats outside of the avutil pixel format list, in any
case.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/