[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 6.0

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Feb 26 18:45:54 EET 2023

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 12:38:38PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 06:47:03PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > i plan to branch off release/6.0 from master in the next days
> > If theres something blocking and i should wait, please reply here
> >
> > 6.0 release will be maybe 1 week after the branch point
> > once it has branched all important fixes should be backported of course
>
> What name shall 6.0 bear ?
>
> ill pick what has the highest number of votes
>
> Here are some previously suggested names:
> Darwin, De broglie, Desitter, Galois, Gauss, Heaviside, Jacobi, Maxwell, Mellin, Perelman, Poincaré, Ramanujan, Sagan, Viterbi, Voltaire, Von Neumann

Vote results:

Carl:               1 (Paul)
Dijkstra:           1 (Reto)
Jemison:            1 (Kieran)
Katherine Johnson:  1 (Kieran)
Heavens:            1 (RADSL)
Von Neumann:        1+L (Niklas)
6.0:                1 (Brad)

Von Neumann is the only who has more than 1 vote, whatever positive
value one assigns to previous votes, its the winner.
"Carl" above lacks a previous one as IIRC it is only Paul voting for
"Carl" every time.

If people want to use a more complex voting system next time, then
the first question to awnser is how to select which names would become
candidates ? or we need a system that allows candidates to be added
by anyone or allow a rather large list.
I mean i can surely pick some from the suggestsions but then iam not sure
how that would be better than this ML based vote.
Also deciding on another vote system for the name should happen not
in the last week before 6.1 especially when people want that release
to happen on time

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus