[FFmpeg-devel] Website release notes for 6.0

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Tue Feb 28 16:52:32 EET 2023

Feb 28, 2023, 10:59 by dev at lynne.ee:

> Feb 28, 2023, 10:41 by dev at lynne.ee:
>
>> Wrote the release notes for 6.0, containing an
>> explanation of the new releases/ABI bump details,
>> and an overview of what has changed.
>>
>> Patch attached.

Ping, release has been tagged for quite a while now.
Final version:

    A new major release, <a href="download.html#release_6.0">FFmpeg 6.0 "Von Neumann"</a>,
    is now available for download. This release has many new encoders and decoders, filters,
    ffmpeg CLI tool improvements, and also, changes the way releases are done. All major
    releases will now bump the version of the ABI. We plan to have a new major release each
    year. Another release-specific change is that deprecated APIs will be removed after 3
    releases, upon the next major bump. The last minor release of a major version will be an
    LTS release.
    This means that releases will be done more often and will be more organized.

    New decoders featured are Bonk, RKA, Radiance, SC-4, APAC, VQC, WavArc and a few ADPCM formats.
    QSV and NVenc now support AV1 encoding. The FFmpeg CLI (we usually reffer to it as ffmpeg.c
    to avoid confusion) has speed-up improvements due to threading, as well as statistics options,
    and the ability to pass option values for filters from a file. There are quite a few new audio
    and video filters, such as adrc, showcwt, backgroundkey and ssim360, with a few hardware ones too.
    Finally, the release features many behind-the-scenes changes, including a new FFT and MDCT
    implementation used in codecs (expect a blog post about this soon), numerous bugfixes, better
    ICC profile handling and colorspace signalling improvement, introduction of a number of RISC-V
    vector and scalar assembly optimized routines, and a few new improved APIs, which can be viewed
    in the doc/APIchanges file in our tree.
    A few submitted features, such as the Vulkan improvements and more FFT optimizations will be in the
    next minor release, 6.1, which we plan to release soon, in line with our new release schedule.
    Some highlights are: