[FFmpeg-devel] git email hook

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Jul 15 23:09:50 EEST 2023

On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 08:34:10PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer (12023-07-14):
> > I today added and tested git-multimail to git.ffmpeg.org as our git mail
> > sending script is old and unmaintained
> >
> > I intend to use libavradio for testing it, this will result in
> > different looking mails for avradio. (probably on the next push in a day or 2)
> > If that goes well i intend to switch ffmpeg-web and all repositories
> > that are on git.ffmpeg.org over to it too. But its easy to leave some
> > on the old script if people prefer.
> > I hope though the new will produce nicer mails.
> > (this is unrelated to git master for which videolan is doing the git mail)
> >
> > No ill sideeffects are expected but unexpected things are always possible.
>
> Hi.
>
> Can the "branch master updated:" be removed? We only work on master
> anyway, it takes up space and the interesting part of the commit subject
> gets truncated.

send me a patch for git-multimail-py or suggest something to replace:
(but it has to work for all repos we have, i dont want to have to
 maintain this per repo really)

REF_CREATED_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE = (
    '%(emailprefix)s%(refname_type)s %(short_refname)s created'
    ' (now %(newrev_short)s)'
    )
REF_UPDATED_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE = (
    '%(emailprefix)s%(refname_type)s %(short_refname)s updated'
    ' (%(oldrev_short)s -> %(newrev_short)s)'
    )
REF_DELETED_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE = (
    '%(emailprefix)s%(refname_type)s %(short_refname)s deleted'
    ' (was %(oldrev_short)s)'
    )

COMBINED_REFCHANGE_REVISION_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE = (
    '%(emailprefix)s%(refname_type)s %(short_refname)s updated: %(oneline)s'
    )

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf