[FFmpeg-devel] What is FFmpeg and what should it be

Kieran Kunhya kieran618 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 30 21:29:09 EEST 2023

On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 6:07 PM Andrey Turkin <andrey.turkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> вс, 30 июл. 2023 г. в 16:04, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org>:
>
> > Kieran Kunhya (12023-07-28):
> > > FFmpeg doesn't implement TCP in userspace, it doesn't implement the
> > > WiFi protocol etc etc. Different layers are delegated to different
> > > programs.
> >

> There is a good reason to have some part of TCP implemented in FFmpeg
> though. It would be _extremely_ useful to be able to read and replay pcap
> dumps of an RTP stream, or an HLS or DASH stream, or whichever else
> multi-connection streams are there.

I plan to write a more detailed response to Nicolas' email. However,
this response is superb because it immediately points out the flaw in
the arguments. Users will not tolerate "incomplete" features, they
will always want their edge case (packet capture replay) to work. This
is Open Source, there are no product managers and roadmaps to
constrain user requests so we have to decide as a community what is in
scope and what is not.

Kieran