[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Nov 9 17:40:05 EET 2023

On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 07:11:37AM -0500, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 6:55 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > Fabrice Bellard    (Founder of the project over 600 commits in FFmpeg)
> > Aman Karmani       (17 authored commits in 2020-2023, recently active in
> > 2023-June and work all over the codebase)
> > Baptiste Coudurier (Pays for our fate server since forever, maintains 15
> > things in MAINTAINERs, is the the copyright of 56 files, over 1900 commits
> > in FFmpeg)
> > Moritz Barsnick    (Member of the 2020 GA but was not on jbs list)
> > Lauri Kasanen      (Linux / PowerPC maintainer)
> > Dale Curtis        (14 commits in 2020 was in the 2020-GA)
> > Alexander Strasser (Root admin, just recently reported that he could not
> > vote even though he was in teh 2020-GA, 3 things in MAINTAINERs)
> > foo86              (maintainer and author of dca*, dolby_e*, dtsdec, s337m)
> > Huiwen Ren         (8 matches in the codebase of his name, avs2* and
> > related things maintainer)
> > Martin Vignali     (over 200 commits in FFmpeg, left in 2019 because of
> > hostility)
> > Lou Logan          (over 100 commits in FFmpeg, left in 2020, also in the
> > 2020-GA but not on jbs list)
> > Matthieu Bouron    (over 200 commits in FFmpeg, recently active in 2022, 5
> > entries in MAINTAINERs, 25 in copyrights)
> > Ruiling Song       (vf_tonemap_opencl maintainer, added SIMD code to
> > various bits of code, last active in git in 2020)
> > John Stebbins      (over 100 commits in FFmpeg, last active in git in
> > 2020, 1 copyright match)
> > Ting Fu            (last active in April 2023, 24 commits in 2021-2023, )
> > Tobias Rapp        (vf_readvitc mainatiner, last commit in Jul 2023, 88
> > commits in FFmpeg)
> > Shiyou Yin         (MIPS & LoongArch maintainer, 24 matches for his name
> > in the source, last commit May 2023)
> > Reimar Döffinger   (over 1400 commits in FFmpeg, root admin and last
> > commit in Oct 2023, 49 matches for his name in the codebase)
> > Aurelien Jacobs    (over 1000 commits in FFmpeg, 13 entries in
> > MAINTAINERs, 70 copyright line matches)
> > Hendrik Leppkes    (over 900 commits in FFmpeg, 2 entries in MAINTAINERs,
> > 4 copyrights, last commit in Jul 2023)
> > Vitor Sessak       (over 900 commits in FFmpeg, 28 copyright matches)
> > Kostya Shishkov    (over 900 commits in FFmpeg, 162 copyright matches)
> > Ramiro Polla       (over 600 commits in FFmpeg, 5 matches in MAINTAINERs,
> > 22 copyright matches)
> > Alex Converse      (over 500 commits in FFmpeg, 32 copyright matches)
> > Janne Grunau       (over 500 commits in FFmpeg, 24 copyright matches)
> > Andreas Cadhalpun  (over 400 commits in FFmpeg, 2 copyright matches)
> >

> just noting some people in the list have cut ties with this project and
> would much rather not be involved in anything related to ffmpeg -

People who do not want to be in the GA should be ommitted, thats obvious
i agree with that of course.

> as a rule
> of thumb it's probably safe to omit inactive developers and inactive
> founders from the list, in my opinion

That i do not agree with.
For example iam inactive in SPI and i do NOT vote in SPI but i very
much want to maintain my ability to vote if a situation arises that matters.
Why ? FFmpeg has alot of money with SPI so I want to maintain my ability to
cast a vote if a special situation arrises.

if you flip this around. Some inactive contributors are very dependant
on FFmpeg in their jobs. I do not belive they want to have no say in
major decissions in FFmpeg.

Why did i include people who left due to hostility?
It was a simple thought. If you form a group of people who oppose
hostility thats more likely to reduce hostility than if you form a
group of people who have a thick enough skin to stay.

Thx

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch