[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Thu Nov 9 21:15:33 EET 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-09 19:50:16)

> > > these are lists with roughly 50 entries, now we _know_ 2 people differ
> >
> > We don't. You only mention one, whom I adress above. Who is the second?
>
> Alexander Strasser

It seems clear that none of the three extra GA members were on the list
used now. In my opinion that is correct, as their voting rights expired
a year ago.

> > > but there where 3 on the extra voters list so really 4 differ almost certainly
> >
> > I do not understand this math.
>
> There where 3 extra developer voted onto the GA and there is zane.
> that makes 4
> there is also Gautam Ramakrishnan on the posted list who simply did not
> have 20 commits at the time of the votes in 2020
> thats 5.
>
> You cannot explain this away.
> Also Thilo mentioned that the number of voters was 49 without the 3 extra members
> in the results while the list jb posted had 51
>
> These things really dont match no matter how you turn it
>
> And again thats why iam asking questions.

The problem is, there is nothing meaningful you can do with the answers.
Yes, mistakes were made in 2020. The rules were not defined clearly
enough. The process for generating the list was not formalized. The
lists themselves were not preserved unambiguously, apparently.

Now all that is being rectified. The rules have been clarified. The list
of voters has been published for the last vote, and the intent is to
publish it for all future votes. I intend to update the script after the
next vote, so that the extra GA members are in there and it generates
the actually correct result.

> > We don't need to "understand what happened",
>
> We do need to understand what happened. The whole project depends on the decissions
> of teh GA. This is not a joke, this is not something where we can be not sure
> who was on the voter list

But we are sure who was on the list, it was published. Not to mention
you have root access to the server, you can just look at the email logs
if you have any doubts.

So what is the point of all this? Besides creating a situation where
voting is too hard, so we never do it, as was the case for the past 2
years.

--
Anton Khirnov