[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Nov 10 15:16:23 EET 2023

Hi

On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 11:58:29PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2023, at 23:49, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> Of course, this seems reasonable.

> >> You should contact who you want, or think is necessary.
> >> But they should step forward and say so publicly that they are candidates.
> >
> > last time you collected candidates you said something very different
> >
> > https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-June/265348.html
> >
> > "If you are interested in being a candidate, please mail me in private
> > (aka not on the list).
> >  You can suggest another candidate, but I will validate with them if
> > they might agree in the end."
> >
> > I want to use the exact same process, why you and other people demand
> > a higher bar ?
>
> First, because noone said anything else on that thread to ask for it to be public.

> And then, because people complained after that it was not public, at the following meeting.
> So we said that we would do differently the following time.

Was this a FFmpeg meeting or a (weekly) FFlabs meeting ?

ive been in only one FFLabs meeting and that must have been years after this.
So obviously thats a differnt case ...
And in that one meeting FFmpeg voting was discussed towards the end of the
meeting.

id like to point out that FFlabs is a commercial entity and not the right
place to discuss anything about FFmpeg governance or votes.

Frequently ignored answer#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.