[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 22:21:26 EET 2023

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 02:24:23PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>
> > [...] or at least allow people to resign from the GA discretionarily.
>
> I think this makes alot more sense
>
> Asking "I want to be in the GA" fully in public is something thats a very
> high bar for some people. It certainly is a very low bar for others yes
>
> If we imaginge every citizen in a country would have to publically demand
> in front of the whole citizenship their vote right, explain why they should
> have the right and then be voted on by all before receiving the right.
> Thats not something normally required to receive voting rights.

No, that is not required at all, but what is required is for people willing
to vote is to register, and you cannot register someone else, unless for
election fraud.

Am I missing something or am I taking crazy pills?

I think this bar is too high. Especially for a project that just a moment
> ago complained about sustainability.
> We should welcome everyone who wants to participate not setup barriers

But we are welcoming everyone! And having a reliable process like it's
being established *is* a way to being more sustainable.
At the same time, we also need to get stuff done, so while the community
noted your feedback and has taken proper action for it (delaying the vote
and inviting people to candidate themselves) there is nothing else to be
done about it in my opinion, so I'd suggest moving on.
--
Vittorio