[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Nov 11 04:24:35 EET 2023

On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 11:58:29PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2023, at 23:49, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> Of course, this seems reasonable.

> >> You should contact who you want, or think is necessary.
> >> But they should step forward and say so publicly that they are candidates.
[...]

> Also, at that time, I did not bring a list of 20 candidates who are, for the most part, inactive.
> While asking "trust me, I will get their approval in private, but they will not speak on the mailing list".

ok, maybe we should just slow down a bit delay the vote by a few days and
discuss this to reduce peoples anxiety? :)

Lets take a step back and look at what i suggested and discuss this a bit first
I also have to say that this looks a bit like Xenophobia to me to be honest.
I hope that word has no political connotation ohh well, i guess iam now some
right or left extremist whatever is attached to the word ATM.

And i can certainly CC someone like anton to verify what i send to people and
what they reply. If people think i suddenly grew sozial skills to manipulate
people or that i would be dishonest. (thx for the accusation btw)

So we have a founder who own and pays the domain. is someone against it if he
is nominated for the GA ?
If people demand he posts in public and asks to be nominated i will not ask him
as i am pretty sure he will not do that. I still think our GA should contain
our founder because, hell he is our founder.

Also by trying to limit the GA to a closed circle the GA is not very
general and it becomes questionable if that GA can speak for FFmpeg.
What iam trying to say is, if you have a group of active developers that group
can speak for what the active developers want but not what the authors of FFmpeg
want. OTOH if you include the main authors, founder and so on the general assembly
actually is a general assembly.

then there are teh people who publically replied
Alexander, Reimar, Hendrik

then there are people who run or pay our infra
Baptiste Coudurier (Pays for our fate server since forever, maintains 15 things in MAINTAINERs, is the the copyright of 56 files, over 1900 commits in FFmpeg)
Nikolay            (root admin, he has helped with uncountable many things around the server, upgrades, backups, ...)

then there are people who are active in the last 36 month but just dont make the threshold or people from the 2020-GA
We did send them vote mails multiple times already
Aman Karmani       (17 authored commits in 2020-2023, recently active in 2023-June and work all over the codebase)
Moritz Barsnick    (Member of the 2020 GA but was not on jbs list)
Lauri Kasanen      (Linux / PowerPC maintainer)
Dale Curtis        (14 commits in 2020 was in the 2020-GA)
foo86              (maintainer and author of dca*, dolby_e*, dtsdec, s337m)
Huiwen Ren         (8 matches in the codebase of his name, avs2* and related things maintainer)
Matthieu Bouron    (over 200 commits in FFmpeg, recently active in 2022, 5 entries in MAINTAINERs, 25 in copyrights)
Ruiling Song       (vf_tonemap_opencl maintainer, added SIMD code to various bits of code, last active in git in 2020)
John Stebbins      (over 100 commits in FFmpeg, last active in git in 2020, 1 copyright match)
Ting Fu            (last active in April 2023, 24 commits in 2021-2023, )
Shiyou Yin         (MIPS & LoongArch maintainer, 24 matches for his name in the source, last commit May 2023)

Then for who remains, i think it depends on what people demand.
If the demand is that they must post in public, I will rest my suggestion
to add people beyond above (who neeed no public post)
as noone who was inactive for years is likely going to come back to ask
for membership in the GA in their comeback mail.

OTOH if some other request system can be agreed on then i will contact
them

Aurelien Jacobs    (over 1000 commits in FFmpeg, 13 entries in MAINTAINERs, 70 copyright line matches)
Vitor Sessak       (over 900 commits in FFmpeg, 28 copyright matches)
Kostya Shishkov    (over 900 commits in FFmpeg, 162 copyright matches)
Ramiro Polla       (over 600 commits in FFmpeg, 5 matches in MAINTAINERs, 22 copyright matches)
Alex Converse      (over 500 commits in FFmpeg, 32 copyright matches)
Janne Grunau       (over 500 commits in FFmpeg, 24 copyright matches)
Andreas Cadhalpun  (over 400 commits in FFmpeg, 2 copyright matches)

I will not ask Lou or Martin as they left and iam fairly sure they will
not appreciate the current environment. I do not want to drag them
into this hostile mess

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad