[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Repeat vote: GA voters list updates

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Nov 11 12:28:08 EET 2023

Le lauantaina 11. marraskuuta 2023, 9.22.19 EET Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel
a écrit :
> As the admin responsible of the votes it is my duty to have supervision of
> all polls and thus it is my duty to declare this vote null and void for the
> flaws given above.

As noted several times by several people:

1) As far as was communicated, the total of alleged discrepancies in the voter
list could not affect the result. That makes the vote valid in my book, and
also in the legal or predecential standards in democracies: if elections were
overturned for every inconsequential irregularities, they would practically
never be valid.

2) As Lynne already pointed out, at this point, after results were published
and voters expressed their frustration with your attempt to recall it, and
forcing a vote amounts to nothing but manipulation - even if this is perhaps
not your intention.

If people would vote the same way they did, the result would be the same (as
per the first point), regardless fo extra voters. So redoing the vote only
makes sense if you expect to achieve different results by changing people's
opinion or getting them to abstain.

3) As Anton already pointed out, you do not seem to have standing to declare a
vote null in the first place. You were trusted to operate the voting system,
not to determine the validaty of the vote.

4) As a consequence (of the previous point), this is an attempt to abuse your
privileges as an adminstrator. This will be reported to the CC.

5) You are spreading more unnecessary discredit on the community and its
processes, and just creatied a new convenient pretext for people to claim that
the GA, CC and TC have no authority. (Previously the pretext was that the
later two had expired.) This makes it an attack against the community as a
whole.

6) That is yet another indirect attack against new developers (including but
not limited to myself). I do very much take offense.

I declare your mail null and void for all purposes other than the CC
investigating your potential violations of applicable rules.

It should go without spelling it out but such community-hostile attitude seems
very ill-advised to me for somebody who is running for CC election or
reelection.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/